In 1898, women in Ottawa, Canada, formed the Women’s Canadien Historical Society of Ottawa to preserve the city’s cultural and historical heritage. They accomplished this goal by writing historical papers, holding meetings, and collecting historical artifacts. Eventually, the WCHS opened a museum. In 1951, the WCHS purchased and renovated Commissariat at the Ottawa Locks, the oldest stone structure in Ottawa, for their new museum location; they also changed their name to the Bytown Museum. The Bytown Museum tried to exhibit Ottawa’s history through its 7,000 artifact collection about the city during the pre-Colombian era to present-day history.