The Cathedral of The Immaculate Conception is a Catholic Cathedral located in Albany, New York. Construction began on the Cathedral in 1848, and it was completed five years later in 1853. The workers who built the Cathedral of The Immaculate Conception were primarily Irish Catholics who immigrated to America to escape the Potato Famine; many of them volunteered. Later in the 1800s, construction recommenced on the Cathedral as the north and south spires were added in 1862 and 1888, respectively. In the 1960s, the Cathedral faced a crisis as the Empire Plaza’s construction drastically reduced its congregation size. Thankfully, The Most Reverend William A. Scully and Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller’s foresight spared the Cathedrale. In 2010, work began on Cathedral Of The Immaculate Conception again to restore the Cathedral’s interior. Today, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is the head of the diocese. It also houses the Bishop’s chair and is the symbol of his teaching authority. The Cathedral hosts several Masses throughout the week, and it is also where the Bishop celebrates Christmas Mass, Holy Week, and Easter.