The Darlington North Road was built in 1863 to repair and manufacture train engines. The railroad works were a major economic boom for the town, and it was employed around 3815 in 1954. However, as British Railways modernized and the reliance on steam power decreased, the Darlington Locomotive rail line slowly began dying. Finally, in 1966, the Darlington Rail line closed. One of the train engines displayed in the works is the P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales. One of the major downsides to this train engine was the glitchy programming that affected tthe train’s effectiveness. Currently there is an effort underway to raise money, so the engine can be repair.