In 1906, the Seattle Electric Company built the Georgetown PowerPlant along the Duwamish River in Seattle, Washington. This powerplant used three Curtis steam turbines manufactured by General Electric to generate the electricity that powered the Seattle-Tacoma area and Seattle’s streetcar system. These generators could produce large amounts of electricity at a cheaper price point than their competitors. These advantages helped establish the Curtis turbine as a viable generator to create electricity that everyday Americans could use. In 1972, the Georgetown Powerplant was decommissioned. The site has since become a museum and been declared a National Historic Landmark, a Mechanical Engineering Landmark, and a Seattle Landmark.