built in Deritend in 1520, where it served as the Clergy House and School for the nearby St. John the Baptist Church. According to some scholars, John Rogers printed the first English translation of the Bible inside this pub; Queen Mary later martyred Rogers. During the 17th century, the Golden Lion served as a tannery and an inn, and by the 18th century, the building was known as the Golden Lion Inn. In 1911, the Birmingham Archaeological Society saved the building from destruction after purchasing and transporting it from Deritend to Cannon Hill Park. It was used as a tearoom and a cricket pavilion until the early 1980s. In 1996, the building closed down due to structural problems; scaffolding was placed to prevent the Golden Lion from collapsing. The Friends of the Golden Lion are currently trying to restore the historic pub, though they have taken action yet.