Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park | Jeff. Smiths Parlor

Located in Seattle, Washington, Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park illustrates the history of the Klondike Gold Rush in the late 19th century. Newspapers around the country declared Seattle to be the “Gateway to the Gold Fields.” It was where travelers could get food, warm clothing, tents, and transportation. Out of 70,000 stampeders, 30,000 to 40,000 of them brought their goods to seattle.The Jeff. Smiths Parlor Museum was purchased in 1935 by Martin Itjen, a former gold rush stampeder. Itjen rebuilt the building to tell the story of Skagway’s gold rush era. The exterior was renovated to resemble its appearance in 1889. It was operated by Jack Greisbach until 1950 after Itjen’s death in 1942. The Jeff. Smiths Parlor building was donated to the National Park Service in 2006, and it was opened to the public in 2016.