The New Haven Country Club was founded in 1898 by Theodore S. Woolsey, and it is one of the first golf courses built in the United States. The origins of the country club date back to the golf culture of downtown New Haven. As golf was becoming a popular sport, Yale professor, Theodore Woolsey formed the nine-hole New Haven Golf Club in 1895. Club members insisted on finding a new space where they could play once Yale student’s became involved in golf. This led Woolsey to establish the New Haven Country Club. The course, designed by Willie Park Jr, lies along the east shore of Lake Whitney. Notable members of the country club include President William Howard Taft, Walter Camp, and Eli Whitney III.