The Palazzo Mangilli Valmarana was initially a Byzantine Gothic palace owned by the Trevisan nobles from 1518 to 1666. In 1740, the palace became a seat of the English Embassy, and a residence of Joseph Smith, the British consul of Venice. Joseph Smith was also considered a patron of the arts, and the facilitator for the purchases of his collections by British collectors. Once Smith died in 1770, the palace was sold to Count Giuseppe Mangilli in 1784. The building was built in the Neoclassical theme and consists of three floors with a mezzanine and an attic.