The Pärnu Museum would not be a reality with the establishment of the Society of Archaeology of the Balticic Germans. The society was founded in 1896 in order to promote the presentation, preservation, and studying of local history. A museum, designed to hold various collections, was built in 1909 and operated as a museum until 1944 when it was destroyed in World War II. The Society of Archaeology did not last once the Blatic Germans left the area, and the artifacts of the museum were transferred to a new society. The permanent exhibit, ‘11,000 Years of History: Experiences from Times Long Ago’ was opened on September 22, 1971. The exhibit offers a journey from the start of the Stone Age through the medieval trade routes finishing off in the Soviet era. In addition, the Pärnu Museum allows its visitors to also learn about the development of Pärnu. Since its opening, the collection has grown to 83,160 items along with accumulated material from archaeological fieldwork.