The Prince Henry Hospital was established in 1881 as New South Wales’ first hospital for infectious diseases, but it eventually closed in 2003. Originally, the hospital was named Coast Hospital, but it was renamed Prince Henry Hospital in 1934 to celebrate the visit of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester. It operated as a teaching hospital for training nurses and doctors as well as a center for research of infectious diseases. The Prince Henry Hospital Nursing and Medical Museum holds an expansive collection of documents, artifacts, and memorabilia related to the Prince Henry Hospital including the doctors, nurses, and patients that worked on the site. In addition, the museum offers a presentation of the general history of medicine in New South Wales. The collection is spread throughout the original wards of the hospital.