The Royal Victoria Chapel is the only remaining structure from the Royal Victoria Military Hospital. The Royal Victoria Military Hospital was commissioned by Queen Victoria in Netley in May 1856. The hospital was opened in 1863 after construction was finished, and the entire site was completely closed in 1978. Opened for 115 years, the Royal Victoria Military Hospital took care of thousands of sick and wounded servicemen in the British military. It was the longest building in Europe with 138 wards . As the only remaining structure of the hospital, the Royal Victoria Chapel houses artefacts and exhibitions about the history of the Royal Victoria Military Hospital. Initially, the building was intended to be demolished, but its demolition was stopped. It became a listed building, placed on statutory lists maintained by Historic England, in 1974. The chapel illustrates the history of the hospital and the lives of people who worked and were treated there.