Cadmans Cottage is located in the inner city Sydney suburb of the Rocks in New South Wales, Australia. As one of the few Sydney buildings that date back to the first thirty years of the colony, the Cadmans Cottage symbolizes the long history of the Rocks. Built in 1816, the sandstone cottage has held numerous responsibilities throughout its operation. These responsibilities include a water transport headquarters, sailor’s home and a water police station. Originally, the cottage was built beside the water, but the later construction of Circular Quay has moved the distance between the two 100 metres. The Cadmans Cottage became a historic site in April 1972.