The initial idea for the establishment of a public library in Troy, New York dates back to 1799. The concept originally came from a citizen of Troy that believed that a public library would help all citizens to “consummate the happiness of, and conduct…a correction of morals and a source of mental improvement.” Thereafter, a collection of books became available to the public and a group of stockholders was formed in 1800. However, it would take 96 years to search for the library’s home. Finally, the official building and permanent home of the library was opened on May 12, 1897. Originally, the building was named the Hart Memorial Building after the Mary E. Hart donated the funds for the lot and construction. It was renamed the Troy Public Library in 1903 in hopes that it would attract funding. The architecture of the Troy Public Library is reminiscent of the American Renaissance style.