As the oldest and tallest wooden church in Moldova, Assumption of the Virgin Mary acts as a great piece of history for the surrounding region and the era it represents. Assumption was built in 1642 by monks from the monastery of Girzhavka. It was primarily built from wood from the village of Khirisheni. For many years, the church aced as a monastery church attended by many lay believers. A new stone church was built in the village resulting in the old, wooden church being used for funeral services. It was eventually abandoned. Miraculously, three quarters of Calarasi Moldovan woodland oak tree logs survived.